Hi Manuel

Le 10/06/2013 19:53, Manuel Schneider a écrit :
> Am 10.06.2013 19:31, schrieb Emmanuel Engelhart:
>> I propose to invite all concerned users to:
>> * create a WMCH mailbox for them
>> * change the target email address to something more acceptable like
>> email box from the provider or european web mails like GMX.
>>
>> Would that be feasible?
>> Does something speaks against such type of restriction?
>
> generally all users who have asked for a WMCH mail address are initially
> offered an IMAP mailbox and I normally tell people why this is better
> than a redirect - just out of practical reasons, put ideological / data
> security aside.
> Anyway, if it is the whish of the user to get his mail forwarded
> instead, who am I to deny it?
>
> Anything else - any restrictions - should be decided by the board.
>
> Just as a summary what we are talking about, after a short look on the
> mailserver:
> * 6 redirects to gmail (Google) (1 staff)
> * 1 redirect to Hotmail (Microsoft) (1 board)
> * 2 swiss domains whose MX records point to swiss mailservers (both board)
> * 5 addresses redirecting to the WMF
>
> To be honest: I understand and agree with your scepticism towards
> private data flowing through third parties which are bound to make
> benefit with that data (Google and Hotmail are free, and not because the
> are philantroph) even withing countries which are known to spy on their
> citizens. Anyway I am not sure that even if we were sure that our data
> is being spied at if it was valuable enough to force our volunteers to
> abandon their primary mail accounts.
>
> It is a different situation for the board, even though they are still
> volunteers they do deal with sensitive data, but that should not
> normally not be transfered via e-mail anyway.

Your approach of promoting mailboxes vs. redirects makes a lot of sense.
If we achieve to do that for staff/board, we are on the secure side.

Other email addresses are less critical... but we should keep a vigilant
eye on that, we are responsible for our data... also if that could
bother users.

> For the staff it is clear: that can only be a mailbox. So in that one
> case I am happy you made me aware of a problem. I will talk to that person.
>
> For myself I try to adopt a sceptic but pragmatic approach: Sometimes I
> use Google services but only where I have no good replacement (mainly
> Google spreadsheets) and then only for a temporary usage. I don't want
> to rely on it. I use it for a certain task, then I store the result
> elsewhere. Otherwise I use these services - this applies to all kind of
> Social Networks where we have the same scepticism for a different reason
> - with data I really and deliberately want to publish. So that data
> can't be "stolen" or misused anyway.

Great!

Good evening
Emmanuel