Dear A. Mani,

 The criteria being used to determine notability of an academician is
WP:ACADEMIC <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability_(academics)>.
As for the definition of women, both cis and trans women are considered
under the edit-a-thon. The initial list of suggested articles were
initially created based on the book Lilavati's
daughters<http://www.ias.ac.in/womeninscience/liladaug.html> brought
out by the Indian Academy of Sciences. This edit-a-thon is a continuation
of the Lilavati's daughters
edit-a-thon<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Lilavati's_Daughters_Edit-a-thon>
which
was initially started off on meta wiki in 2013.

I am sure that there would be many other notable Indian women scientists
whose biographies are not present on Wikipedia. Please feel free to create
articles about them, or at least add their names to the list of articles
needing creation
here<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/International_Women%27s_Day,_India/2014#Women_Scientists_Edit-a-thon>
.

If any of the articles <http://wikiwomen.in/> created during the
edit-a-thon does not match the notability criteria for an academician,
please point that out on the talk page of the respective article.

Please be informed that whether or not one person should have a Wikipedia
article is not under her will. If somebody creates a Wikipedia article
about you, you will have to live with it as long as you are notable :-)

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Regards

Netha

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 10:07 PM, A. Mani <a.mani....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:59 PM, Parul <sri.pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > India has a lot of successful women scientists who have made a mark in
> their
> > respective fields. However, it is unfortunate that these women still do
> not
> > have an existence on Wikipedia. Read this blog post to  know a little
> more.
> >

> > We are organizing a Women Scientists edit-a-thon tomorrow and day after.
> > Join us by editing as many articles as possible during these the two
> days.
> > Apart from creating articles, you could also help us by correcting or
> > expanding existing ones. Adding names to the existing list of scientists
> > would go a long way too.
>

> What criteria (relative academic accomplishments) is being used for
> qualifying as a "women scientist"?
> Some days ago, I saw some entries for fresh people with a couple of
> publications (it was part of an earlier round of editing).
> One cannot really go by the few awards (politicized) and such.
>
> If that is the criteria, then I know at least 95 women who would fit
> in. If I set the cut off point at 5 years in research, then the number
> would be 60 - 72+ (I am not sure ).
>
> If the criteria is 100pp of publication in refereed international
> journals or 10 years in research or some high impact work (requires
> peer review), then the number would be much less.
>
> ps. I don't want an article on myself as I have enough publicity :)
>

> Best
>
> A. Mani
>

> A. Mani
> [Last_Name. First_Name Format]