On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Marco
Schuster<ma...@harddisk.is-a-geek.org> wrote:
> We should not recommend Chrome - as good as it is, but it has serious
> privacy problems.
> Opera is not Open Source, so I think we'd best stay with Firefox, even if
> Chrome/Opera begin to support video tag.

I don't think we should use these kinds of ideological criteria when
making any sort of recommendation here.  We should state in a purely
neutral fashion that browsers X, Y, and Z will result in the video
playing better on your computer than your current browser does.  It
would be misleading to imply that Firefox is superior to these other
browsers for the purposes of playing the video tag.

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Gregory Maxwell<gmaxw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd drop the word experience. It's superfluous marketing speak.
>
> So the notice chain I'm planning on adding to the simple <video/>
> compatibility JS is something like this:
>
> If the user is using safari4 on a desktop system and doesn't have xiphqt:
> * Advise the user to install XiphQT (note, there should be a good
> installer available soon)
>
> The rational being that if they are known to use safari now they
> probably will in the future, better to get them to install XiphQT than
> to hope they'll continue using another browser.
>
> If the users is using any of a list of platforms known to support firefox:
> * Advise them to use firefox 3.5
>
> Otherwise say nothing.
> It would be silly at this time to be advising users of some
> non-firefox-supporting mobile device that firefox 3.5 provides the
> best experience. ;)

That sounds good.  Why not recommend Safari plus XiphQT as well, if
the goal is only to tell them what browsers support good <video>
playback?