On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 6:12 PM, David Gerard<dger...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/8 Aryeh Gregor <simetrical+wikil...@gmail.com>:
>> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 4:27 PM, David Gerard<dger...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Uh, it's not a good option for Wikimedia video.
>
>> With XiphQT, why not?  Maybe not ideal, but surely "good".
>

> As Greg has noted, due to a bug in Safari it's impossible for the
> browser at present to indicate that it can handle Ogg or not.
>
> So how do we tell if the Safari user can use that or if they have to
> download XiphQT? There isn't a way at present. Either we shove Safari
> on Mac users onto Cortado by default (since Java can be presumed
> present on MacOS X) or we risk giving them a <video> element that
> doesn't work.
>
> (Unless the failure can somehow be sniffed.)

Well *we* do. As a side effect of installing XiphQT a mime type is
registered.  This is completely independent of the video tag.  So
we'll detect this and use it anyways.

I believe we're the only users of video whom have ever done this. It's
not obvious, and I doubt we'd be doing it were it not for the fact
that that detection method was previously used for detecting pre-video
availability of XiphQT.

(FWIW, that behaviour is now fixed in their development builds)

Regardless, I think we've finished the technical part of this
decision— the details are a matter of organization concern now, not
technology.