On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Gregory Maxwell<gmaxw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not every decision is a purely technical. Mozilla has done a lot to
> support the development of this functionality. Putting other browser
> developers on equal footing is not an neutral decision either.

I think the most neutral thing would be to suggest the top two or
three browsers for the platform that support the functionality, in
order of market share.  If the browser has negligible (<1%?) market
share on the platform, or only supports <video> in beta or development
builds, it can be left off.  Maybe you could also put Safari second
even on Mac, since it requires an extra install and doesn't work
perfectly.  But I think it's misleading to act as though Safari isn't
a good option, when it's the default system browser and probably works
better in various other ways than Mac Firefox (I've definitely heard
that this was the case before Firefox 3.0).

If the message made it clear that the recommendation was opinionated,
and not just advising the viewer on how best to view the video, it
would be less of an issue to exclude browsers for not being
open-source or whatever.  Like "We recommend you use X, which will
allow you to view this video better" instead of "X will allow you to
view this video better".