We run 8.3 on some new 8540s.

We moved to 8.3 to resolve a DFS issue in 8.2 (CSCuy45955 - AP stops
xmitting beacons after some # of DFS events). This is fairly silent btw,
look for a dearth of 5G clients and/or cleanair being down.

I'm not on the daily battlefield of wireless support so much anymore, but
hearing a new 8.3 bug is:
'..seen a problem in the past few weeks where sometimes when an AP power
cycles the primary image becomes corrupted (premature end of mzip file on
boot), AP switches to the backup image, connects to controller, sees that
it has the "correct" version in its backup, and boots the bad file again.
Infinite loop. The only fix is by renaming the backup image via it's
console'

As complexity/features continue to increase, no vendor's images will ever
be bug free.
I was wondering if there might be an advantage in having modular AireOS
code. That'd not be without issues either, but bug fixes might possibly
come more quickly and allow more time before migrating to the next major
release.  The biggest downside of that, as seen on the ASR side, is that
many modular patches still require a reboot - but on an AP(s) that would
not be as big of an issue.

On a side note, over the last year/two there seems a behavior on part of
the TAC pushing back for us to 'lab' problems.  In our view, once we've
pretty clearly identified an issue exists, it's a TAC/developer issue to
further ferret out and resolve.  That adds time and pain to the service
impact of the bug.

--
Garry Peirce
Network Architect