From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Garret Peirce
Sent: Monday, 19 September 2016 11:33 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Cisco 8540s, and 8.3.102 Code

We run 8.3 on some new 8540s.

We moved to 8.3 to resolve a DFS issue in 8.2 (CSCuy45955 - AP stops xmitting
beacons after some # of DFS events). This is fairly silent btw, look for a
dearth of 5G clients and/or cleanair being down.

I'm not on the daily battlefield of wireless support so much anymore, but
hearing a new 8.3 bug is:
'..seen a problem in the past few weeks where sometimes when an AP power cycles
the primary image becomes corrupted (premature end of mzip file on boot), AP
switches to the backup image, connects to controller, sees that it has the
"correct" version in its backup, and boots the bad file again.  Infinite loop.
The only fix is by renaming the backup image via it's console'

As complexity/features continue to increase, no vendor's images will ever be
bug free.
I was wondering if there might be an advantage in having modular AireOS code.
That'd not be without issues either, but bug fixes might possibly come more
quickly and allow more time before migrating to the next major release.  The
biggest downside of that, as seen on the ASR side, is that many modular patches
still require a reboot - but on an AP(s) that would not be as big of an issue.

On a side note, over the last year/two there seems a behavior on part of the
TAC pushing back for us to 'lab' problems.  In our view, once we've pretty
clearly identified an issue exists, it's a TAC/developer issue to further
ferret out and resolve.  That adds time and pain to the service impact of the
bug.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 7:52 AM, Osborne, Bruce W (Network Services)