Yes, that's an important topic too.  There's a variety of access protocols
that different devices support.  Many devices have web interfaces.  Some
have snmp support.  StarOS has that SSH interface.  Another popularly
supported interface is plain telnet.  In a network composed of mixed
equipment odds are you won't find a single access protocol common to all
devices.  It's good to use tools that support multiple access protocols so
you can interrogate a variety of devices.  MRTG is a popular tool, but it
only does snmp to my knowledge, only does strip-graphs, and has limited
programability for automation.

You mentioned working with MIBs.  When dealing with MIBs, IMO it really
helps to use a tool that loads the manufacturer's MIB definition files
permitting you to reference MIBs by their natural name.  I don't think
anybody finds working with OIDs by number as fun (for example wanting to
read "RSSI", but having to reference a string like
"1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.2.2.2.0"!).  When you say Trango frequently changes
their MIB definitions, hopefully you mean they constantly re-issue their MIB
definitions files adding new parameters.  Under no circumstances should any
manufacturer CHANGE THE DEFINITION OF A PREVIOUSLY DEFINED OID.  Any
manufacturer that did this should be appropriately shamed!  As long as they
don't change definitions of previously defined OIDs (just add new ones),
this is not a problem.  Can you describe what Trango changes in their MIBs?

Rich