Rick Smith wrote:

> Having experience in both call center mangement and tech support
> department
> creation / operations and management, I've got half a mind to sit a
> couple of
> technical people down and start up a technical support call center and
> answering service, with WISPs and ISPs in mind...

I'd feel sorry for the folks answering the phones, because they'd have to
know about a squillion different wireless systems.

"Hm. Okay, Mr. Sixpack. Before I can help you, just a few quick questions.
First, is your ISP using Alvarion, Karlnet, Trango, Mikrotik, StarOS, or
Waverider towers?"

(And that's just the stuff in MY network. Now take that kind of diversity
and multiply it by a couple hundred WISPs and your phone guys are gonna
have headaches and a ten-foot stack of manuals on their desks.)

Not to mention the fact that every WISP I've seen has different, and
mostly-incompatible ways of doing things. I've seen networks that use DHCP
for everything, RFC1918 overlay networks, static IPs, static IPs assigned
through DHCP, places where the whole network is NATted behind someone's
DSL line, and so on and so on.

For some of those network setups, it would be darn near impossible to give
someone not in the office/NOC the necessary access to even try to
troubleshoot a problem.

And honestly, at least in my office, most wireless issues are either
solved in five minutes, or they require a service call.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's a market for this, and I wish you all
the best. I just suspect, in my usual pessimistic way, that it'd be a lot
harder to do than you might think.

David Smith
MVN.net