From: George [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 07:40 AM
To: 'WISPA General List'
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Pioneering Wi-Fi City Sees Startup Woes

I am doubting that wisps can actually accomadate the muni in most situations, unless they are closely involved with the design of the network, Talking spectrum use here.

First off, the WISPs have to have the guts to talk to the city. Many simply
refuse to do so, and are probably going to get the Muni WiFi shoved down their
throats.

Second, the cities are mostly going to use 2.4 GHz for access and 5.7-5.8 GHz
for backhauls. WISP's will need to use 5.25-5.25 GHz and 900 MHz.
As for going along with free muni wifi, How is a wisp going to operate if a muni is offering for free or at cut rate pricing?

In a word, service. The city will only be offering WiFi access-period. They
won't be going out to peoples houses and doing installs, fixing virii, doing
firewalls, etc.