To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 12:53 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Alvarion Comnet Radios have arrived

marlon,

I have to disagree, and state the opposite.
I've always been a fan of TDD, especially when combined with DSSS to be able to survive the noise, with better SNRs.

OK, there's a problem here. Lets make sure we're talking the same acronyms and such.

TDD = Time Division Duplex. In our case, this part really doesn't mean much of anything.
DSSS = Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum,
SNR = Signal to Noise Ratio. This is the one that you fine tune on a CB radio to get the his to go away.

For these and many more kindly take advantage of work I did years ago:
http://www.odessaoffice.com/wireless/definitions.htm

The problem occurs when DSSS is not enough to get above the noise.

This is a problem when using DSSS, FHSS, OFDM, FM or any other modulation scheme we're using today.

 When the noise is other OFDM

OFDM is NOT DSSS or FHSS. It's Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing. "I totally don't know what that is but I want it!" roflol

or Wifi contention gear,

WiFi is an interoperability standard based on IEEE standards. Today WiFi can be either DSSS or OFDM, I'm not aware of any WiFi FHSS product. 802.11b is DSS, 802.11a and g are OFDM.

possibly louder than your own signal, using CSMA/CA actually performs much better in the severe interference environments.

Define better. No, I'm not trying to pull a Clinton here. If you want to compare DSS to FHSS then, yes in certain types of noisy conditions, DSS can overcome the noise by spreading it's data packets over a larger area. It's able to rebuild damaged data packets or to just ignore some times of noise that would cause an FHSS signal to back off and retransmit on a different freqency, causing a rise in latency and a drop in speed.

A DSSS signal spreads the data over (in the WiFi example you site) 22 MHz of spectrum. An FHSS signal spreads that same data over 1 MHz, but it hops around interference.

I remember seeing a couple of graphs years ago. They showed an ever increasing noise level and it's impact on DSSS and FHSS. The DSSS stayed at or near full speed longer than the FHSS but once the noise got too high it totally dropped off line.

The FHSS system, on the other hand, showed the noise as an overall slowdown but kept on going long after that DSSS system rolled over and wet on it's self. I'm hearing mixed results about OFDM. Some say it works better yet in interference, some say it dies much sooner. I really don't know. It would be nice to see someone run all three systems in a lab so we could see the same tests. In fact it would be fun to see that same test with several proprietary systems too. If only I had more time and money! That's exactly the kind of tinkering that I live for!

The reason is TDD is guaranteed to transmit during the noisy period, some percentage of time.

Nope. Not true at all. Been there, done that. I have more than one T-shirt. It TOTALLY depends on the type of noise and it's levels in relation to your carrier to interference ratios (also known as SNR).

If you have narrow band interference DSSS can (and OFDM should) work around it. It'll be able to recreate the missing data bits and deliver a good data packet. Or, if the noise is far enough off of the center frequency (the middle part of the 22 MHz wide channel) it'll likely just completely ignore the noise. Lets say, for example that you are running a WiFi based system and your customers radio is hitting your AP in the B mode with a -65 signal. WiFi radios need around a 15 dB c/i radio. So as long as your noise level was below -80 this system should work pretty well. If the noise hit -75 though I'd expect to see some service degredation.

Canopy requires a roughly 3dB c/i ratio. It would still be working at a -69 dB noise floor. Hit -65 with the noise, and neither of them will work.

With CSMA/CA the radio waits for FREE time, or at minimum retransmits until it gets FREE spectrum. This can increase latency significantly, but it does reduce packet loss, which is more important.

Remember, CSMA/CA is WiFi!!!! That's the backoff mechanism that makes it so easy to co-locate so many systems in a confined area like an office or appartment complex.

The problem one runs into is that when there is a noise floor above your c/i there is NEVER free air to transmit in.

TDD w/ ARQ,

Now we're talking apples and oranges. TDD is still Time Division Duplexing (vs. an FDD Frequency Division Duplexing) mechanism. ARQ is an advanced means of correcting errors that already took place during transmission. The error could have been caused by any number of things including interference. But ARQ (as I understand it) is NOT a way to prevent errors, rather it's a way to recover from them, hopefully without the need for a retransmission.

can be even better, provided one has a high end radio, that can be engineered for both ARQ and optimal link quality. But not all ARQ radio can be optimized for best RSSI. I'd take 8 db of higher RSSI, than ARQ, because their is no need for ARQ, if you are adequately above the noise.

Agreed.

Alvarion's strength is it empowers an operator to engineer a more durable link, based on antenna quality and flexibility.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>