From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tom DeReggi
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 2:53 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Alvarion Comnet Radios have arrived

marlon,

I have to disagree, and state the opposite.
I've always been a fan of TDD, especially when combined with DSSS to be able

to survive the noise, with better SNRs.
The problem occurs when DSSS is not enough to get above the noise.  When the

noise is other OFDM or Wifi contention gear, possibly louder than your own
signal, using CSMA/CA actually performs much better in the severe
interference environments.  The reason is TDD is guaranteed to transmit
during the noisy period, some percentage of time. With CSMA/CA the radio
waits for FREE time, or at minimum retransmits until it gets FREE spectrum.
This can increase latency significantly, but it does reduce packet loss,
which is more important.

TDD w/ ARQ, can be even better, provided one has a high end radio, that can
be engineered for both ARQ and optimal link quality. But not all ARQ radio
can be optimized for best RSSI.  I'd take 8 db of higher RSSI, than ARQ,
because their is no need for ARQ, if you are adequately above the noise.

Alvarion's strength is it empowers an operator to engineer a more durable
link, based on antenna quality and flexibility.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband