----- Original Message ----- From: "Butch Evans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 8:47 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] bits per mbps

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 wrote:

Yeah, I know you took it off for me. As I recall the conversation you said that we could do some testing that would show that it really did speed things up. But it also caused a delay when the page was starting to load and that made it feel slower.

Did I get this wrong?

I think you have it right. Using a cache (even on Mikrotik) really does speed up browsing for end users. Using a cache, also, makes browsing "feel" slower, because of the lag between the click and the first part of the page being displayed. This part is true with any type of cache server (proxy).

FYI, that is NOT how things worked with my Cobalt CacheRAQ. It was amazing how quickly things snapped up on the page with it vs. without it. Too bad it was an older unit and I could only use it by changing the gateway addresses. And it had heat related lockup issues in the summer.

I'd love to put another one in.  It was money very well spent.

Oh yeah, the reports that it generated every day were very useful.

What I was referring to, is the fact that running the proxy server on a Mikrotik is (and always has been) problematic for various reasons. Having said that, Mikrotik is in the process of testing a new caching proxy server (my understanding is that they are coding this one from the ground up). I don't know how that one will work out. But, either way, I generally recommend against building a proxy server of any kind. YMMV.

--
Butch Evans
http://www.butchevans.com/