Chuck, it's being used for that, expired billing credit card renewal dates,
FCC E911 official limitation acknowledgements, etc.  However, it's mostly
been installed in very large cable operators.  I'd be happy to talk
off-line.  It does scale smoothly from 1K to millions of subs.

I'd be happy to describe a bit on how it works since that's more my area of
expertise but don't want to abuse the group here.  I'll tell you, though; it
has really been a fun thing to use.  I just saw a message that TVCABO, the
Portuguese cable company, sent to some subscribers in a small area something
like "We are very pleased to have recovered in only 4 hours of service
outage because of the road crew on the A2 that was digging not only the road
but our cable.  But, for taking four hours, we still apologize."

As a test, WideOpenWest (300K data subs) has been testing an automated
delivery of Amber Alerts from their XML feed from Amber Alert center.  Every
subscriber gets it only once and onlyk if it applies to their geographic
area.  They get 3 buttons: Close, MoreDetails, Opt-Out.  The Opt-out makes
sure they never receive another.  That gets rid of the grumps.  After a year
and 10M alerts delivered, 2.8% opted out, 38% regularly click through for
more details and on the DSLreports forum there have been no complaints and
it's a grumpy forum.  It auto feeds geo-targeted NOAA weather alerts or the
full EAS, too, if desired.  We're just experimenting with the best way to do
that without irritating the subs.

Anyway, it's fun to think that you can finally control the visible channel
to the users' screens whenever you want...it's yours.

. . . j o n a t h a n
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.perftech.com