From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Travis Johnson
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 10:30 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: [WISPA] 3.65

Matt,

I agree. We are looking at the same thing... putting up some 3.65ghz
AP's on our "bigger" towers and moving heavy usage customers to that.
However, until base stations are less than $8k, the WiMax people can
keep spending money on advertising, trade-shows, etc. telling us how
great they are, I'm not going to buy.

When you can buy a licensed microwave radio link for $8k (less
antennas), and you know the company is making money, there is no reason
3.65ghz base stations have to be $8k+.

Hopefully at some point, they will wake up and realize there is an
entire market they are missing.

Travis
Microserv

Matt Larsen - Lists wrote:

I'm with Travis on this, with the exception of using StarOS instead of
Mikrotik.   It is nice to have a set of standard, mature tools such as
radius, cbq/iptable rules and standard, non-vendor specific hardware to
work with instead of having to use a limited, proprietary system limited

to a single vendor.  I've deployed/consulted on 802.11 a/b/g networks
representing 8000+ CPE units and it can be made to work just fine as
long as it is managed properly.   Travis is a pro, and he has the
experience to design his network in such a way as to maximize the
performance of his equipment.   There are many others out there having
the same success.

FWIW, I believe the most logical next step is to start moving heavy
usage customers over to 3.65 WiMAX gear starting next spring.   I think
we are near the threshold of what is going to be possible with
unlicensed equipment - barring some kind of amazing breakthrough.   I
foresee a need to deploy smaller and smaller cells to maintain the
desired performance level.  It helps to have 10mhz channel sizes
available to maximize the utilization of existing spectrum, but even
that is starting to get awfully crowded.   Whitespaces sure would help.

I spent the last two years putting up 802.11a based APs across my entire

service area and migrating customers from 2.4 to them to get the higher
ARPU from faster speeds and VOIP service.   I foresee spending the next
two years deploying  licensed backhauls and 3.65 APs starting with the
high traffic areas and working out to the fringes.   Its the neverending

story.

Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com

Travis Johnson wrote:

        Hi,

        We don't use DHCP. Every single customer gets a real, static IP
address.
        We also a assign a static IP address to every radio (for
management).

        When I posted the question a month ago about how to force an SM
        connect to a specific AP on a tower, the only answer was "color
code".
        This isn't really an option, as that means the installer has to
change
        the color code in the field. All of our current radios are setup
and
        ready to connect to ANY tower and ANY AP on that tower without
the
        installer doing anything in the field.

        And how does first level tech support even find the correct
radio in the
        AP list for a customer on the phone? They have to scroll through
160
        people to find them by MAC address?

        Yes, Canopy is a slower radio in today's world. 14Mbps of total
        throughput on a 20mhz channel is SLOW. Using Mikrotik I can get
30Mbps
        (double the speed) on the same channel size. Or I can use a
10mhz
        channel and get 15Mbps. And all these speeds can be delivered
via upload
        or download or any combination, I don't have to set a specific
        percentage of up/down.

        And how do you guarantee 7ms latency? What happens if a customer
gets
        8ms? And how do they test that measurement? And what happens
when a
        customer completely clobbers an AP and 160 customers are getting
20ms
        latency? Or you have interference from a new provider and all
those
        people get 100ms latency?

        Travis
        Microserv

        Chuck McCown - 3 wrote:

                All of the complaints are easily overcome with the
proper management software, DHCP reservations etc.  You can easily force
the SM to connect to the exact AP you want a couple different ways.  And
there are several non motorola software packages that do this kind of
stuff.  We have 5000 subs on it and we don't break a sweat in managing
any of this.

                We put 128-160 customers per AP and they all still get
10.2 Mbps burst.  Slower radio?  That seems pretty fast to me.
                And we guarantee latency to 7 mS.  Hmmm, that is pretty
hard to do with anyone else.