From: Wayne Godfrey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 9:59 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [WSG] thoughts of external links in new window?

Okay, I'll stick my neck out here for a list chopping.

I personally like opening a new window whenever I'm web surfing. It's
something that I got into a habit or doing long ago and far away. I'm still
waiting for a big, honking G5 to be sitting under my fingertips, but until
that day I'm stuck on a G3 Mac at OS9 on IE5.1.7. I hate the IE interface
(actually, I hate all browser interfaces) and I close it down to nothing but
the address bar. The back, forward, stop and reload buttons are available in
the top left hand corner, but the only one I really use is the reload
button. Even with the tab browsers that I've tried, I still end up opening a
new tab more often than using the back and forward buttons. This is just the
way I ended up traveling the web, I'm sure that others have their own "ways"
as well. I've discussed this with my partners and others and they all like
the "open a new window" concept. I fully understand the other point of view
and why the W3C believes what they believe. I've never been ticked off by a
site opening a link in a new window, but I sure as heck have been royally
unhappy with pop-up, under and through windows as well as poorly coded java
script that freeze my machine or web sites that only work in IE for windows.
In fact, those are much higher sins (IMHO) than opening a link in a new
window...

gulp....