Another issue there of course is that there is no task bar in Mac OS, and
that in WinXP separate windows for the same application no longer have
separate task bar buttons, but are 'stacked' in a single application button.
This further reduces any chance of universal comprehensibility with pop-up
windows.

Compounding the annoyance and confusion they (pop-up windows) cause with
back buttons and navigation, those of us who use and prefer tabbed browsing
find that unexpected new windows are exactly that - new windows, not new
tabs on the existing window, and all our existing tabs suddenly 'disappear'.
I find this disconcerting, even as an experienced user and developer.

Having said all that, I still occasionally use pop-up windows, but never
full-screen, and only as an adjunct to the current site. For example, one of
my sites for a musician includes a Flash-based audio player that opens (on a
user-initiated click) in a small pop-up, allowing visitors to continue to
load and listen to her songs, even after moving off to another site.

Cheers,
Kevin Futter