G'day

> We need to start an ordered list on a page from a number
> other than 1, as the lists could be quite long and so will
> be chunked into a set per page.
What do people suggest?

Use a transitional DTD (whether XHTML or HTML) so you can use the start attribute while keeping the document valid.

Using divs to insert the numbers is IMO worse than using a (for transitional DTDs) valid, though deprecated attribute.

In theory, you could use counters in CSS, but as far as I know very few browsers actually support it at this point in time.

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/