From: Andrew Neumeier via wsjt-devel [mailto:wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net]
Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2023 1:05 AM
To: Neil Zampella via wsjt-devel <wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Cc: Andrew Neumeier <ka2...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] No 73 allowed after RR73?

In some cases the use of RR73 is problematic.  I operate FT8 almost exclusively
on 2 meters, weak signal.  If I am working a very weak station, and that
station chooses to use RR73 instead of 73, there

is a good chance that I have not received it, especially if I am waiting for a
qsb peak on the signal.  By sending RR73 that station assumes we are done once
RR73 is sent, but we may not be done.  I continue

sending a signal report, while the station I was in contact with is off working
another station.  I may then fail to log that qso, since it is incomplete,
unless the station realizes the mistake and continues the qso.

On occasion I have even seen RR73 used in MSK144 or even Q65 which is just out
of line in weak signal, or meteor scatter work.

When working weak signals I don't think RR73 should ever be used and I never
use it myself.

73,

Andy, ka2uqw

On Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 04:53:15 PM EDT, Neil Zampella via wsjt-devel
<wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net <mailto:wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> >
wrote:

FWIW ... if you received an RR73 .. there is no need to reply.

The station is saying that RR I got your last, and 'over and out' ...

The other party is not waiting for your reply, they're on to another contact.

Neil, KN3ILZ