> On Oct 10, 2016, at 18:42, x...@raf.org wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've just moved from a mid-2010 15" macbookpro with
> macosx-10.6.8 and X11.app to a mid-2015 15" macbookpro(retina)
> with macosx-10.11.5 and XQuartz-2.7.9. I use full-screen mode
> and twm as my window manager.
>
> Sorry for the long email with too many questions.
> Feel free to just ignore any that can't be answered. :-)
>
> 1) The first odd thing that I've noticed is that the resolution
> in XQuartz is much less than I'd expected. With the old
> macbookpro, the resolution was 1680x1050 in normal use and in
> X11 and in XQuartz. With the new macbookpro, the resolution is
> normally 2880x1800 but in XQuartz it's only 1440x900. Any idea
> why that might be? Can it be made to use the full resolution (or
> at least 1680x1050)? Or is that just wthe way it is with retina
> displays?

It should be possible to add better support for retina if anyone wants to spend
time on it, but not much work has been going into XQuartz for the past five
years or so.

> I use ~/.xinitrc instead of ~/.xinitrc.d/*.sh and I thought that
> might be causing a problem but when I moved ~/.xinitrc to
> ~/.xinitrc.disabled and restarted XQuartz and entered
> full-screen mode, all I got was a solid black screen with
> nothing at all happening. That might be a clue to some
> wierdness.
>
> A search through the mailing list shows up a utility called
> SwitchResX that is supposed to fix this but the download site
> www.madrau.com doesn't seem to be functioning at the moment.
> Is this what everybody with XQuartz and retina displays has
> to use? Note: I don't want to change my resolution outside
> of XQuartz, I just want the resolution in XQuartz to match
> the normal resolution.

It matches the screen's resolution in points, not in pixels.

> 2) Another thing I'd like to ask, is: Is there any way to make
> XQuartz start in full-screen mode? One of the reasons I used
> X11.app instead of XQuartz on the old macbookpro was that when
> X11 was configured to use full-screen mode, it would start in
> full-screen mode automatically and I typed Command-Option-A to
> get out of it or back in. When XQuartz is configured to use
> full-screen mode, it starts invisibly and I have to type
> Command-Option-A to enter full-screen mode.

I was not aware this was even an ask.  It should be rather easy to add, but
unfortunately, I don't have much time for such things any more.  If you're
interested in fixing it, I'll gladly take your patch.

> 3) Also, when XQuartz starts (after entering full-screen mode),
> the keyboard focus doesn't start to follow the mouse until after
> I have clicked once in a window. After that, it behaves
> properly. Is there any way to fix that behaviour so that
> keyboard focus follows the mouse immediately on start? This was
> the other reason that I kept using the old X11.app.

Also the first I've heard of that one... this is likely an issue in quartz-wm
rather than XQuartz.  The source for that is at
https://github.com/XQuartz/quartz-wm.

At minimum, file a bug report for your problems.

> 4) This applies to the old X11.app and XQuartz: I execute xset
> in my ~/.xinitrc to change the keyboard rate among other things
> but it doesn't work there and I have to execute it manually from
> an xterm for it to work. Any idea why that might be happening?

It's likely getting overridden when we setup your keyboard settings.  We derive
the repeat rate from macOS, and that's likely happening slightly after your
xset in your xinitrc.

> 5) Last question: I use a lesstif/motif version of vim all the
> time (Lesstif is from macports).

Lesstif is super duper deprecated and no longer maintained.  I suggest you stop
using it.  I believe we were just talking about removing it from MacPorts.

> So I want to test XQuartz
> 2.7.10_rc5. Presumably, /opt/X11/lib/flat_namespace will be
> installed when I install the new XQuartz. If it doesn't work out
> and I want to reinstall XQuartz 2.7.9, will that cause any
> problems?

That depends on what problems you mean.  You'll have the bugs present in 2.7.9
that were fixed in 2.7.10_rc5.  If you have any issues with the flat_namespace,
do report them ASAP.