> On Oct 12, 2016, at 01:36, René J.V. Bertin <rjvber...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tuesday October 11 2016 16:19:50 Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
>
>>> Why is it then that XQuartz 2.7.8 on OS X 10.9 uses the correct (true)
>>> pixel resolutions for my 2 non-retina screens?
>>
>> Because the pixel:point ration is 1:1.
>
> And may I deduce from that that whatever API XQuartz uses to obtain screen
> pixel resolution returns points on a Retina screen?

XQuartz doesn't get the screen resolution in pixels from macOS.  It gets the
resolution in points.  On non retina displays, they are the same value.

> Technically debatable (if you ask for pixels you shouldn't be earning any
> points ;))

Nothing asks for pixels.  This code existed long before the difference existed
(or rather before API existed to distinguish the difference) and has just never
been updated.

> but understandable if you want clients to open in a readable size on a
> crazy-res display
> But points and pixels are probably just a scale factor away, an integer one
> (I hope)

Not necessarily.  It is in practice, but there's no guarantee that it will
always be the case.

> , and I'd presume there is an API call for determining the appropriate scale
> size?

A whole bunch of 'em.  See
https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/GraphicsAnimation/Conceptual/HighResolutionOSX/APIs/APIs.html

> So what happens when you use a regular (say 1080p) external in combination
> with a Retina display, and for good measure you deactivate "screens have
> separate spaces" to get the traditional
> spaces-span-all-screens-of-the-desktop behaviour?

You'd have one 1920x180 display at 1x and another display at 2x.  As you drag
(non X11) windows between them, they'll adjust their scale factors.

> I guess it becomes hard to define Xft.dpi in that case...?

Yes, but the issue existed before retina.  It just got quite a bit more
obviously challenging with such a larger range of dot pitch available.  Ten
years ago, most displays were around ~100 dpi.  Now we've got displays above
400.

> I could probably find answers to all that by looking at the Qt5 code but
> since my only Retina screens are in my iPhone and my own eyes I have no way
> of verifying if that code handles all possible situations appropriately.
>
>>> Could xrandr be used to get XQuartz to use the full resolution on a Retina
>>> screen, or is it going to be necessary to hack the code?
>>
>> Probably.
>
> You tell us; I wouldn't be really surprised if xrandr does squat on Mac...
> and you'd need to know the appropriate modeline too.

RandR doesn't really have anything to do with modelines.  And thanks for that
shuttering and horrific set of memories that you just conjured up by just
mentioning modelines...

RandR doesn't do squat.  About 8 years ago, I added support for RandR to
XQuartz which effectively lets you switch to various fullscreen modes that the
display supports.

You can use xrandr from the command line to put XQuartz into fullscreen mode at
the native display pixel resolution (eg: `xrandr -s 2880x1800`), but that will
be a fullscreen mode and will render your windows much smaller than what you
want.