On Tuesday October 11 2016 16:19:50 Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:

>> Why is it then that XQuartz 2.7.8 on OS X 10.9 uses the correct (true) pixel
>> resolutions for my 2 non-retina screens?
>
>Because the pixel:point ration is 1:1.

And may I deduce from that that whatever API XQuartz uses to obtain screen
pixel resolution returns points on a Retina screen?
Technically debatable (if you ask for pixels you shouldn't be earning any
points ;)) but understandable if you want clients to open in a readable size on
a crazy-res display
But points and pixels are probably just a scale factor away, an integer one (I
hope), and I'd presume there is an API call for determining the appropriate
scale size?

So what happens when you use a regular (say 1080p) external in combination with
a Retina display, and for good measure you deactivate "screens have separate
spaces" to get the traditional spaces-span-all-screens-of-the-desktop
behaviour? I guess it becomes hard to define Xft.dpi in that case...?

I could probably find answers to all that by looking at the Qt5 code but since
my only Retina screens are in my iPhone and my own eyes I have no way of
verifying if that code handles all possible situations appropriately.

>> Could xrandr be used to get XQuartz to use the full resolution on a Retina
>> screen, or is it going to be necessary to hack the code?
>
>Probably.

You tell us; I wouldn't be really surprised if xrandr does squat on Mac... and
you'd need to know the appropriate modeline too.

>Oh.  LOL.  I missed that part.  In that case, it's likely that XQuartz isn't
>delivering the mouse events for some reason... maybe it doesn't think it's in
>the foreground or something?  Not sure, but if anyone wants to dig into it,
>I'll be happy to get the patch into XQuartz and get it upstreamed.

Fullscreen X puts up a fullscreen native window I presume? What if it's simply
that this window isn't made key?

@raf: can you add a line to your xinitrc so that xev is started up by default,
and see if that tells you anything?

I worked a lot like you, but that goes back to 10.4, a long time ago now. I
loved having a machine with 2 faces, a modern desktop and a traditional X11
workstation with a minimal WM (ctwm in my case, with my own hacks). Something
changed when I got my first Intel MBP under 10.6; IIRC it became an issue that
I took it back and forth (suspended) between home and work where I had external
screens with a different resolution. Or it was simply that my workflow changed
and I got fed up switching back and forth. Nowadays I still spend a lot of time
in xterms, but XQuartz is set to mingle; using xfwm4 with a Mint theme X11
windows fit in but look just sufficiently different to make them easy to catch.
The only drawback is that I cannot move X11 windows across Spaces (but that's
rarely necessary), and I have to make a trip to the menu each time I want to
copy something to the Mac clipboard (and I forget about pbcopy).

R.