> On Oct 12, 2016, at 10:54, René J.V. Bertin <rjvber...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday October 12 2016 10:25:00 Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
>
>> I've thought about it.  It would certainly mesh a lot better with macOS than
>> X11 does, but AFAIK, nobody has mentioned working on it.  I'd expect a
>> discussion in xquartz-dev at least mentioning the project if they were.
>
> Why would it be discussed on the XQuartz list? Wayland isn't X, even if
> (AFAIK) there exists an X11-based reference implementation.

Because Wayland is the spiritual successor of X11, with many X11 and former X11
developers being the primary contributors to the project, and implementing
Wayland for macOS would allow one to use that in conjunction with xwayland to
effectively replace the functionality of XQuartz.

There's not really a point of having "an X11-based reference implementation".
That would be very much the wrong approach and layering.  The transitional goal
is to move away from X11.  xwayland is effectively a shim to allow legacy X11
apps to continue to run by supporting X11 on top of Wayland.  Doing the
opposite (while I suppose technically feasible) is not really attractive.

I think you missed https://wayland.freedesktop.org/xserver.html