Marc Aurele La France writes:
 > 
 > If you attend a meeting and introduce a new agenda item, it behooves >you<
 > to remain at that meeting at least until the new item is discussed.  Not
 > doing so is just plain rude, and wastes everyone else's time.
 > 
 > Why do people think mailing lists are any different?

But we say nowhere, that this is a mailing list. It wasn't a real
mailing list until a while ago, it was just an alias distributing
the messages to a number of people.

When the server crashes we say:
"Please report problems to [EMAIL PROTECTED]"

We don't say: "Please visit http://www.xfree86.org/..... to subscribe
to our support mailing list."

Furthermore I thought the idea of having an open list was to receive
reports from people not subscribed. 
Therefore, I'd recommend to either find a solution or reconsider the
policy to run [EMAIL PROTECTED] as an open mailing list. 
I would recommend to script that checks if the original author is 
subscribed and if not, add him to the Reply-To: field.

I'd favor fixing the problem. One could have a script that rewrites
the incoming mail as a procmail filter with the following heuristic:

if (Reply-To: exists)
   don't do anything;
if (From: is subscribed)
   don't do anything;
else
    Add a:  "Reply-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], <address-from-From:>"

 > 
 > > One of us wants to anser him, hits 'group reply' and because of the
 > > Reply-To: only containing the list the answer goes only to the list.
 > > But since the original author isn't subscribed he *doesn't* get the
 > > answer.
 > 
 > ... because he didn't stick around long enough to hear it.  That's his
 > choice.
 > 
 > Remember:  you cannot help those who will not help themselves.
 > 

I have no idea who is subscribed or not. 
How should I know if I'm only wasting my time? Of course I could add
everybody I reply to to the Cc: field. Just to get flamed why I do
this.

Egbert.
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to