On Tuesday, July 15, 2003 8:26 pm, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 04:10:58PM -0600, Marc Aurele La France wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Andy Goth wrote:
> > > On Tuesday, July 8, 2003 12:05 pm, Egbert Eich wrote:
> > > > Daniel Stone writes:
> > > >  > I also hope like hell Mailman isn't munging Reply-To, because
> > > >  > that's just *wrong*.
> > > >
> > > > Hm, I don't know what you would call munging, it puts the list
> > > > address into the Reply-To.
> > >
> > > Daniel is probably referring to:
> > >
> > > http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
> >
> > ... which expresses an opinion not that widely held.
>
> Sorry, I lost about 10min worth of mail when I switched hosts my mail
> spooled on, and Egbert's reply must've been in that.
>
> Reply-To considered harmful is an opinion I hold, and it seems to be the
> opinion of most everyone I've encountered. The pressure should be on the
> MUA to do the right thing; either the user should set a Mail-Followup-To
> header, or you should reply to all per default, or you should just do a
> list reply.

Since everybody has a different opinion, I think it would make sense to set up 
the mail server so that people can choose whether or not they want Reply-To 
fields tacked onto emails they receive.  This should make everybody (except 
the admin, heh) happy.

Then only remaining debate would be what should be the default.  Existing 
users should be set to Reply-To mode until they tell the server otherwise.

As for new users, the subscribe page should have a checkbox (by default 
checked) enabling Reply-To fields.  If there is also an email-only way to 
subscribe (I don't know), it should by default enable Reply-To, and the 
subscription confirmation message should explain the issues and how to change 
the Reply-To setting.

Rationale: My observations indicate that it's mostly people with longtime 
experience who complain about Reply-To, so these people should be capable of 
follow simple instructions to change their account settings.

It doesn't matter much to me if someone actually implements this suggestion.  
If it happens, I'll turn off Reply-To's for mails sent to me.  If it doesn't 
happen, I won't complain.  It may be a little ugly, but I know how to use my 
mua to send to the original poster despite Reply-To's setting, so long as 
he/she didn't have to set Reply-To in the first place.

Yeah, I know I said I wouldn't reply, but I think that maybe, just maybe, the 
above might lead to a resolution nearly everybody can (grudgingly?) live 
with.

-- 
Andy Goth  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://ioioio.net/
Engineers love to change things.

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to