I also think designing an app to have access to cloud services for XFCE would be ideal, but seen how slow XFCE devs work and every Xubuntu release tends to be the same I don't think is a realistic scenario. That's why I believe Gnome Control Center is the best option and avoids re-inventing the wheel. Also it has great integration with most Cloud services, even better than Unity Online Accounts.

-Gio