The unplug/replug thing is a known issue.  The current suspected culprit is
an error in the firmware itself.  It has been suggested to downgrade to a
previous version of the firmware, but as of this morning I don't think that
is the cure.  It works sometimes, but not consistently on my machine.
Unfortunately, I can't find any errors to provide further information.  I'll
keep an eye out the next time it fails.
What distribution are you using?  Some of the configuration methods you
mentioned are unfamiliar to me.  I use wpa_supplicant for mine, and am able
to associate with WEP and WPA2/tkip/PEAP networks without hassle.