Hi Marcus :)

Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
>  * Starting eth1
>  *   Configuring wireless network for eth1
> Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
>     SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not permitted.

Is this halting the entire process?

Presumably you set a channel in your networking configuration. zd1211rw
(and many other wireless drivers) rejects this, as in managed mode,
scanning is used to find the channel (it's not something that the user
should have control over).

To start with, you should just start by working on the command line
without any init scripts.

Run iwevent in one console to keep track of status. Then in another
console run:

ifconfig eth1 up
iwconfig eth1 essid foo key bar

If association succeeds (watch the iwevent window), run: dhcpcd eth1

> Let me know if there is anymore I can do to help get this adapter working -
> it
> seems to be very close already and is bundled with ZyXEL routers right now.

If it is new it may be based on the AL2230S radio rather than the
AL2230. zd1211rw currently doesn't support AL2230S, and also has a bug
where it detects it as AL2230 (and doesn't really work as it should).
This may explain some of the problems you are seeing.

To confirm whether you have an AL2230 or AL2230S, try the vendor driver:

And use this procedure to check the RF type:

I will have my own AL2230S within the next few days and will then solve
these issues.