Happy Birthday. If you have a child you have no excuse to be doing drugs.

But then I am overweight. Considering the negative attitude that society has
against the obese, how many opportunities have I never gotten because people
I was working with did not respect me because of my lack of discipline?

Just like someone might not want to help a person with a drug problem, many
people would much rather hire/promote/associate with a lean person than a
fat tub of lard.

I guess you know what my New Year's Resolution is again (hey, I lost 70+
pounds last year). I quit smoking 4+ years ago (cold turkey).

Focus on what you really want. Want it more than anything else.