--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Al" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Today I ran over a large rock that someone had either laid onto the
road or
> it had dropped off someone's truck. I thought it looked like a
white paper
> bag (maybe I need glasses?). What a shock to hit that rock.
Thankfully it
> seems like nothing happened to the car's transmission, axle, oil
pan, motor,
> etc.
>
> My daughter said "Thank God nothing happened to us." I thought "If
G-d
> wanted to be so helpful, why do only half a favor and leave the
rock in the
> middle of the road? Why not just do the complete miracle and have
the rock
> bounce to the curb when it fell off the truck?"
>
> So I wonder, was G-d helping us? Should we be thankful we were not
injured?
> Was the rock in the middle of the road a sign that G-d could care
less?

> A couple of days ago an 11 year-old girl was run over by a car as
she
> crossed the street to go to school (at the school crossing, during
the
> slow-speed time). She was holding her older sister's hand when she
was
> killed. The car only hit one girl. Should the surviving sister
thank God for
> such a wonderful miracle? Why didn't God save them both?

I thought about this post today as I did a U-turn on the road two
houses down from my own (forgot my coffee) and ran over a large chunk
of metal, blowing out my front tire and causing a big delay in the
trip I was about to undertake (while I exchanged the tire with my
full-size spare in the trunk - and got my coffee)...

And I realized I'm perfectly comfortable with the randomness of this
event. All it was was a chunk of metal in the road. Nothing more.
Just metal. It wasn't put there by some God to cause a one hour delay
in my trip, or remind myself that I'm a mechanically-inclined woman
and can change my own tire without help. It wasn't some sign I
shouldn't go on my trip. It was just a chunk of metal.

And it's still just a chunk of 4-inch metal imbedded in my tire.
Maybe I'll keep it after the mechanics pry it out of my tire tomorrow
when I get my two new tires installed as a reminder of the randomness
of it all.

I'll be spending my Sunday morning with the mechanics.

Jennifer