There are a number of groups around that teach mindfulness
meditation for people with depression and other types of mental
problems - but they are not limited to these types of people as this
is how I first learned how to meditate, and I don't suffer from any
of these problems, I just wanted to learn how to meditate.

"Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction" or MBSR is the name of the
program, it is commonly facilitated by
psychiatrists/psychotherapists, but not always. The program was
developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn at the University of Massachusetts
Medical Centre and is widely offered throughout the United States
and Canada. Doing a simple google search for this program and the
city in which your friend is in might bring up something useful.
It's an 8 week program in which one practices about 45 minutes each
night, and they meet together once a week to talk about their
experiences and meditate as a group.

This is a good way to get started and begin to deal with depression
to boot, without aligning oneself with a particular branch of
Buddhism.

Susan

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "dkotschessa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>