Hi Rodney,

I've read that many come to practice as a result of such states of
crisis, such as depression, suicide, divorce, or whatever the
situation may be, and that this can be a strong stimulus to their
practice, whereas those of us who come from an intellectual
perspective (that would be me) don't have the same strong impetus
for practice (I'm not too good with words, and hope I'm getting the
idea across anyway). Our Zen teacher said pretty much the same
during a recent teisho.

I have a friend who has suffered depression for years, and who
solves this by the chemical route (prescribed by her doc, of
course), and who is quite satisfied with that, but who doesn't like
to experience the depression or seek out the root cause of it. Her
husband of some 30 years passed away last fall, and she was plunged
into it again. The solution for her was again, chemical
manipulation. I've suggested meditation, but there are no groups in
her local area, and while she's kind to be about my interests, she
is the kind of person who believes in, and prefers, docs who cut &
sew and prescribe meds, and has had lots of experience with the same.

I have another friend, a member of our sangha, who went through
terrible depths of depression, and who says he finally got tired of
crisis after crisis and came back to Zen, having tested the waters
some years before. He says he feels he can change the pattern of his
life, his childhood upbringing, the legacy he inherited from his
parents.

I think all emotions are to be accepted in practice, and the crises
that stem from depression are that of someone who doesn't accept
this part of their life, who struggles with it.

The program I mentioned is not for getting rid of depression, but
learning how to deal with it in your life, to accept it. So yes,
depression is indeed something to be embraced, but I suppose one has
to go through a kind of spiritual transformation in order to get
there.

I did read a book by Philip Martin called "The Zen Path Through
Depression", and it might be useful for the person who started this
post, but I agree, the individual suffering from depression is the
one that has to get the ball rolling in terms of wanting to work
through it. I have other acquaintances who suffer from depression as
well, but I've never found the right way to help them, I only
suggest the MBSR course as a simple way of learning to accept it.

What do you think the difference is between ordinary depression and
spiritual depression, or are they the same? I'm a bit confused there.

Susan

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Rodney Yasushi Horikawa
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Susan, thanks for a great thought provoking post...
>
> You know, I get that in modern Western psychology depression is
viewed as a
> dysfunctional mental state... And I  get that the state of
³depression²
> exists along a continuum and that in certain cases there is very
much
> chemical balances  that may require pharmacological interventions..
>
> That said, in the ³psychology² of spirituality doesn¹t depression
have a
> more ³functional² role on the landscape of praxis? For example,
doesn¹t both
> Christian and Buddhist practitioners of meditation recognize the
³dark night
> of the soul² as a critical ³stage² of the path? Isn¹t (spiritual)
depression
> a state to be embraced?
>
> I¹m currently reading a wonderful book entitled ³Japanese Death
Poems ­
> Written by Zen Monks and Haiku Poets on  the Verge of Death².  Like
> practitioners of tea ceremony and calligraphy, Zen haiku poets
aspire to
> evoke/attain a ³state of  consciousness² called ³mono no aware².
Edward
> Seidensticker, the brilliant translator of the ³Tale of the Genji²
defined
> ³mono no aware² as the deep spiritual sadness that occurs during
the
> simultaneous perception of beauty and the transitory nature of all
things.
> Ivan Morris, the late great scholar of Japanese literature,
defined ³mono no
> aware² as spiritual pathos/depression.  In any event, it can be
argued that
> if spiritual depression was not embraced in certain circles of
Zen, much of