--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Susan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> There are a number of groups around that teach mindfulness
> meditation for people with depression and other types of mental
> problems - but they are not limited to these types of people as
> is how I first learned how to meditate, and I don't suffer from any
> of these problems, I just wanted to learn how to meditate.
> "Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction" or MBSR is the name of the
> program, it is commonly facilitated by
> psychiatrists/psychotherapists, but not always. The program was
> developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn at the University of Massachusetts
> Medical Centre and is widely offered throughout the United States
> and Canada. Doing a simple google search for this program and the
> city in which your friend is in might bring up something useful.
> It's an 8 week program in which one practices about 45 minutes each
> night, and they meet together once a week to talk about their
> experiences and meditate as a group.
> This is a good way to get started and begin to deal with depression
> to boot, without aligning oneself with a particular branch of
> Buddhism.
> Susan

I was in the bookstore the other day, and I usually hang out in the
sections on religion, philosophy, mythology etc.  Usually lots of
books on mindful this or that in the "eastern philosophy" section.

But I wandered over to the psychology section and WHOA!  I couldn't
believe the number of books I saw (ok maybe it was 5, but it seemed
like a lot to me) on "Mindfulness."  So it seems it is catching on,
as something that is marketed in a way that is "secular," or which is
not associated with zen or buddhism or anything.

All of which, I personally think is a good thing, because it allows
more people to benefit from the practice even if they have hang-ups
(i.e. misconceptions) about Buddhism, or anything outside their
religious or non-religious practice.