--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Rodney Yasushi Horikawa
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Susan, thanks for a great thought provoking post...
>
> You know, I get that in modern Western psychology depression is
viewed as a
> dysfunctional mental state... And I  get that the state of
³depression²
> exists along a continuum and that in certain cases there is very
much
> chemical balances  that may require pharmacological interventions..
>
> That said, in the ³psychology² of spirituality doesn¹t depression
have a
> more ³functional² role on the landscape of praxis? For example,
doesn¹t both
> Christian and Buddhist practitioners of meditation recognize the
³dark night
> of the soul² as a critical ³stage² of the path? Isn¹t (spiritual)
depression
> a state to be embraced?
>
> I¹m currently reading a wonderful book entitled ³Japanese Death
Poems ­
> Written by Zen Monks and Haiku Poets on  the Verge of Death².  Like
> practitioners of tea ceremony and calligraphy, Zen haiku poets
aspire to
> evoke/attain a ³state of  consciousness² called ³mono no aware².
Edward
> Seidensticker, the brilliant translator of the ³Tale of the Genji²
defined
> ³mono no aware² as the deep spiritual sadness that occurs during the
> simultaneous perception of beauty and the transitory nature of all
things.
> Ivan Morris, the late great scholar of Japanese literature, defined
³mono no
> aware² as spiritual pathos/depression.  In any event, it can be
argued that
> if spiritual depression was not embraced in certain circles of Zen,
much of
> haiku, tea ceremony, calligraphy, etc would simply not have
existed...

> So my question is what exactly is the role of depression ­ if any ­
in our
> Zen Buddhist practices?
>
> Gassho,
> Rodney

If anybody ever cares what I write, I will someday be credited with
coming up with the term "emotional metabolism."  :)

I believe that emotions are essential and natural.  They are part of
human functioning and are not to be denied.  One book I read called
emotions "emotional signals" that are intended to convey to us some
sort of message.  We need to find out what they mean to us.

But the dysfunction arrives with attachment to emotions, positive or
negative.  And this is where Buddhism comes in.  Our meditation
practice, IMO, speeds up the process of "metabolizing" our emotions
in the same way that physical exercise incrases our ability to
healthily digest food.

So I view depression as a prolonged attachment to one of these
emotions, thus an anomaly that needs to be worked on by whatever
means are available.  This may include some type of therapy with some
kind of professional, but meditation, IMO is the healthiest therapy
there is.  It is the practice of simply dealing with your emotions
directly, and confronting them in a relaxed and concentrated state of
mind.  It's natural and it's human.

Not only meditation, but the rest of the eightfold path as well.
When one is living one's life in accordance with sila then the
meditation becomes easier, the process of mental metabolism is helped
because there is less to "digest."

-DaveK