A Koan is a story, dialogue, question or statement in the history and lore
of Zen, generally containing aspects that are inaccessible to rational
understanding, yet that may be accessible to intuition. A famous Koan is,
"Two hands clap and there is a sound; what is the sound of one hand?" (oral
tradition, attributed to Hakuin Ekaku, 1686-1769, considered a reviver of
the Koan tradition in Japan).

  _____