Jue Miao Jing Ming,

Thanks for the history lesson.  I was aware of all of those things except the
part about Mongolia.  I thought it still was a part of China.  In any event the
state of being part of China or not part of China is, like all things,
transitory.  Some years high hemlines are in; some years they are not.

Anyway my point was, and the only point that should be pertinent in this forum,
what does all this have to do with zen?  Is or should the nationalistic
aspirations of a country, or their people’s fight for political freedom or
social equality, linked somehow to zen?  I think not.  In my opinion zen
practice does not concern itself with and is not influenced by such things.

I might add here that I don’t consider zen and Buddhism the same thing, nor do
I consider zen a sub-set of Buddhism, nor inextricably associated with Buddhism
in any way.  So, if your answer is going to be that social justice is a concern
of Buddhism, you’re not answering my question.  My questions is about zen, not
Buddhism.

Thanks again for your post…Bill!