Al,

There are of course now those that are only peddling zen to make a buck.
That was probably inevitable when zen moved to the West, especially in the
US where avarice is the national pastime.   But I don't look at these as
representative of the zen to which I was introduced in the 1960's by a
couple of Japanese zen masters living very modestly in Los Angeles, nor is
it even remotely associated with the zen I try to practice every day, every
minute of every day.  I don't associate these types of people or groups or
schools with zen, anymore than I associate people like Jim Baker or Oral
Roberts with Christianity, or even Osama Bin Laden with Islam.  What they
preach is based on some parts of some religions, but has been perverted so
much as to be unrecognizable with the original intent.

What you are talking about might in fact be the reason why I'm always
uncomfortable defining en as a sub-set of Buddhism.  I don't see zen as a
sub-set of anything.  It's just a very pure, unfettered, unencumbered and
very clear experience of life.

I practice zen.  I'm not always happy.  I'm not always sad.  Happy and sad
pass through me like clouds pass through the sky.  They're there, they
sometimes hide the sun, but they're not permanent, and they haven't
destroyed the sun.  It's still there and will be revealed again when the
clouds dissipate.

So, I do understand and commiserate with you on the pop nature of zen and
all the problems that brings.  In some ways I wish it were more unpopular
just so it wouldn't be so subject to perversion.  But it is right now.

Clarity!  That's what zen is to me.  (.and I don't need NO STINKING BADGES!)

.Bill!