From: Edgar Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, 11 September, 2008 21:48:27
Subject: Re: [Zen] JUDO

Hi Mike, and Bill too,

I think the problem you and Bill are having is in thinking of chi as something
in particular rather than of the very stuff or substance of everything which is
what it is in the sense I (and at least to some extent JM) are using it. Chi is
not something that martial artists 'generate' and that other people don't have.
Everything is composed of chi. It is the only substance of the universe. There
is nothing else except the particular forms that arise within it which have no
substance of their own. In this view the universe consists only of chi and the
empty forms chi takes on which have no reality substance of their own. I
generally use the term OE (ontological energy) for chi. It is what gives
otherwise empty forms actual real being in the present moment.

So Mike and Bill's emptiness is simply chi that isn't moving, that is devoid of
form. Calling chi chi is just terminology. One could call it Mu, Tao, OE,
emptiness or anything else just so long as we know what we are talking about.
It is the definition we are using that counts. Don't go by some huff and
puffing guy who thinks only he has chi. All of us ARE chi, simply forms in the
sea of chi, forms in the universal sea of OE.

So in the stillness of Zen meditation perhaps chi is hardly moving, but in
daily life chi moves constantly, and Zen is being in tune with that movement.
That's the same as saying what MIke and Bill are saying since chi is
intrinsically empty, Mu, void, Tao. It is only the forms within chi that really
move.

Edgar