Edgar,

Thanks for trying to clargy this.

I accept your explanation of how you use the word 'chi' or 'OE', and
have never disagreed with it.  I have first encountered it as being
called Buddha Nature and now refer to it as Just THIS! becasue I
don't want it to be tied to tightly to Buddhism.

BUT, my point has always been that as soon as you enter into a
dualistic despription of chi, assigning it such qualities as personal
chi, universal chi, good chi, bad chi, feminine chi, masuline chi,
stong chi, weak chi, etc..., you are no longer talking about chi,
you're just babbling about some illusions and attachments you have in
regards to the concept of chi.

> Hi Mike, and Bill too,
>
> I think the problem you and Bill are having is in thinking of chi
as
> something in particular rather than of the very stuff or substance
of
> everything which is what it is in the sense I (and at least to
some
> extent JM) are using it. Chi is not something that martial artists
> 'generate' and that other people don't have. Everything is
composed
> of chi. It is the only substance of the universe. There is nothing
> else except the particular forms that arise within it which have
no
> substance of their own. In this view the universe consists only of
> chi and the empty forms chi takes on which have no reality
substance
> of their own. I generally use the term OE (ontological energy) for
> chi. It is what gives otherwise empty forms actual real being in
the
> present moment.
>
> So Mike and Bill's emptiness is simply chi that isn't moving, that
is
> devoid of form. Calling chi chi is just terminology. One could
call
> it Mu, Tao, OE, emptiness or anything else just so long as we know
> what we are talking about. It is the definition we are using that
> counts. Don't go by some huff and puffing guy who thinks only he
has
> chi. All of us ARE chi, simply forms in the sea of chi, forms in
the
> universal sea of OE.
>
> So in the stillness of Zen meditation perhaps chi is hardly
moving,
> but in daily life chi moves constantly, and Zen is being in tune
with
> that movement. That's the same as saying what MIke and Bill are
> saying since chi is intrinsically empty, Mu, void, Tao. It is only
> the forms within chi that really move.
>
> Edgar
>

> On Sep 11, 2008, at 4:28 AM, mike brown wrote:
>

> > Hi Edgar,
> > Thanks for the reply and insight. I'm just finding it really
hard
> > to intergrate my understanding and experience of Zen with the
> > importance some people here are placing on chi. I can appreciate
> > that chi exists and may even be the source of form and
emptiness,
> > but at the end of the day I just don't believe it is essential
> > know or experience chi in order to live a Zen life. With due
> > respect, I think JMJM's Chan is just a highly developed
technique
> > which allows a person to feel chi and so feel somewhat
> > spiritualised and 'connected'. I've felt something very similar
in
> > my Vipassana meditation (Vipassana uses a technique which
generates
> > a lot of chi and this is then used to 'scan' the body to feel
the
> > most minute, subtle sensations within and on the surface of the
> > body), however it is still a technique. I'm not saying
techniques
> > are a bad thing - after all zazen meditation is a technique .
What
> > I am saying tho' is that ultimately ALL techniques are just
rafts
> > which need to be discarded after reaching the other shore (the
> > shore we're already on, of course). Zen is just simply living
life
> > fully in the moment and doesn't require anything extra in the
way
> > of 'energy currents', God, or listening to our 'inner-dolphin'.
Mike.

Australia
> >> (actually I'm Welsh, but it's a long story..) at the
international