Hi Margie,

Thanks for your email. As always you write very eloquently. I haven't read that
in Alan Watts, but I think he's absolutely correct. How many non-Buddhist Zen
practitioners do you know who look really good on paper, but if they get a
toothache or are criticised their whole 'house of cards' comes tumbling down? I
know quite a few.

Yes, the Eight Precepts are the 'standard' ones in Buddhism. I'm not sure if
they're used so much to keep people grounded after realisation (zazen should be
taking care of that), but rather that it's difficult to sit in meditation if
you've just broken a precept (eg, stolen or killed something). Similarly with
the others (right thinking, right livelihood etc) - it's difficult to mediatate
or be mindful if you've just sold drugs to a teenager or been perving on your
friend's husband/wife or gossiping about them etc etc.

To sit zazen as a regular practice and follow the precepts (I believe) helps to
transform the self andkeep it that way. Enlightenment is a moment to moment
'experience' and therefore it is easy to backslide back into samsara (for want
of a better word). I think many people have had a glimpse of their true nature,
but then make the mistake of thinking that they now 'have it' permanantely.
Ability to write academic treatises about consciuosness, chi, time, causality
doesn't replace the need to periodically sit zazen/shikentaza and just BE. This
is where zen is watered, nurtured and flowers. But just try and do this if you
don't at least try to follow the precepts. I hope this made sense to you.

Mike.