Good morning Mike; Yes, I have to admit that I also enjoy the variety of subjects discussed here in the forum regardless of being intelectual or not. It's great to have a bunch of people to talk to about anything. Listening to all of them. Learning from each of them. I see each member as a non separation of myself. What is the good in them is also in me. What are the weakness in them are a reflection of myself mirror.
Dear all; I haven't had in time to go through all the post. I'm afraid I have not much time right now to read and answer some of the posts. But I will. Thank you all for your participation in the forum. A big smile to you all Mayka --- In [email protected], mike brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > Hi Mayka, > > >My knowledge and insight about > >consciousness is rather limited. And therefore open to > >intelectualization and what is the worst speculation. Being aware of > >the harm that intelectualization and speculation can cause I'd rather > >keep quiet till real insight cames out. > > Well said. I really do enjoy reading the intellectual and metaphysical postings here, but at the end of the day, that is all they really are - headcandy for the intellect. That's why I guess I would call myself a Zen Buddhist. The danger of trying to extract zen from Zen Buddhism can lead to the charge that zen is nothing more than an "intellectual exercise" ala JMJM. IMHO an understanding of 'emptiness' without following the Eight Precepts won't lead to a self-transformation as deep as following them. I don't remember who said it, but zen without Zen Buddhism is like an alcoholic going to an AA meeting in the morning and a cocktail lounge in the evening. > > Mike. > > > > > ----- Original Message ---- > From: Mayka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > To: [email protected] > Sent: Wednesday, 15 October, 2008 14:47:58 > Subject: [Zen] Re: TNH - Fifty Verses of the Nature of Consciousness. Part 4, Sense Consciousness > > > Hi Mike; > > Which of the verses would like a comment?. These last three or > previous ones?. If you're refering to these last three verses then > in order to understand them one needs first to understand all > previous ones. Verses are all linked like an unbreakable chain and at > the same time each verse contains also all the rest. Amazing art of > writing, isn't it?. > > However, I'm not making comments at the moment for several reasons; > First; it would create intelectual distraction over the readers. > Second; Although I had this dharma directly transmitted during a long > retreat by Venerable Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. I feel no much > confidence yet on the subject. > > The Nature of Consciousness is a most fascinating subject to discuss > about in a dharma group. Of course providing that the ones who take > part in such a complex discussion are people with a real realizacion > within themselves of the subject discussed and not just vanity and > ego. > > Thanks anyway for your interest. > Mayka > > --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] ps.com, mike brown <uerusuboyo@ ...> wrote: > > > > Hi Mayka, > > > > Could you give us a commentary on what those verses mean to you? > Thanks. > > > > Mike. > > > > > > > > > > ----- Original Message ---- > > From: Mayka <flordeloto@ ...> > > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ps.com > > Sent: Wednesday, 15 October, 2008 13:02:22 > > Subject: [Zen] TNH - Fifty Verses of the Nature of Consciousness. > Part 4, Sense Consciousness > > > > > > Part 4, Sense Consciousness > > > > Twenty-Eight > > > > Based on mind consciousness. > > The five sense consciousness > > separately or together with mind consciousness, > > manifest like waves on water. > > > > Twenty-Nine > > > > The field of perception is things in themselves. > > Their mode of perception is direct. > > Their nature can be wholesome, unwholesome or neutral. > > They operate on the sense organs and the sensation center of the > > brain. > > > > Thirty > > > > They arise with the > > universal, particular and wholesome, > > the basic and secondary unwholesome, > > and the indeterminate mental formations. > > > ------------------------------------ Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
