From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Edgar Owen
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:59 AM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Zen] Causality, perception, reality, consciousness, etc, etc

Margie (and Bill),

What nonsense! That experience suggests there is an objective world (the
eggplant) and that the cognitive representation of that world is illusion.
Only if the monk went back again later and it wasn't an eggplant but a
squashed frog and kept changing every time he looked at then we might
conclude there was no objective world. The monk accepted that the reality of
the objective world was the eggplant, not the squashed frog illusion in his
mind.

My point again is that what is in the mind and what is in the world is the
same thing and that it is only one thing, and that the rules that govern all
that are causal and consistent. That includes the phenomenon of errors of
the senses and cognition that can be corrected by internal consistency.

That is true because things are only illusion in the sense that they are
observer dependent views of reality. Reality itself has no reality
independent of any observer. Just as in relativity there is no absolute
motion, only motion relative to an observer. Every event is an 'experience'
or observation by an 'observer' even if it is just an electron responding to
a force. The whole idea of an external reality independent of observers is a
construct of the mind and represents the cognitive world view of every
organism, each of which is different and dependent on the biological and
cognitive structure of that organism.

And that view is my own cognitive construct in my own mind which depends on
my cognitive structure.

So we go round and round and never get to any observer independent external
reality. Therefore everything is illusion, but only in the sense that it is
impossible to identify an objective reality behind everything independent on
any observer's direct experience since no observer could ever experience it.

So what is not illusion, at least in my experience, is the illusion - that
is the contents of direct experience in the ground of the present moment,
but known to be illusion since their manifestation depends on my structure.
And even worse, my supposed structure which determines reality is a
construct of its own structure! But at least in my experience that is
consistent and follows causal rules.

Those are the contents of consciousness. I can however experience experience
more directly when all contents fade away and only pure consciousness
remains, that experience is the reality of the present moment empty of all,
or almost all, content. Or, if I open my eyes, the perceptual content
reappears but is not categorized by the mind. That categorization, e.g. the
separation of the perceptual content into discrete things which stand in
relationships to each other is a construct of the mind and as such is
illusion. But it is a consistent illusion ruled by causality.

And since that is all there is, that illusion must be accepted as reality,
but only when recognized to be illusion.

Edgar