Dave,

In spite of Bill and Anthony's retorts this is a very important and valid question, at least certainly as much so as any other question.

While it is true that Zen doesn't ask this question, the fact that it doesn't gives it no right to ask any other question. The question of God is certainly the ultimate koan!

Whether god exists or not depends first of all on how the term is defined. If we take the Christian or any other ancient religious definition then there is of course no evidence for his (their) existence and plenty of counter evidence. If such a god is postulated to exist that just begs the question of who created him. This understanding of god is from the childhood of humanity. Likewise the AI conception of a programmer god a la the Matrix and sci fi (which by the way I wrote about in a short story in the '60's about what I called 'Livies', that we all were living in an artificial reality so real it seemed like reality and how each cycle intelligent life would gradually construct virtual realities so convincing that they would ultimately become characters within them, etc. which is really what the human brain is doing in actuality - constructing an illusory reality in which we think we live - which is very close to Zen's world of illusion).

On the other hand if we merely define God as the creative life/motive force of the universe then by definition god exists. It is very clear that the intelligence embedded in the structure and design of the universe and the DNA etc. is many orders of magnitude greater than human intelligence. Perhaps someday when we understand the functioning of DNA we will find encoded there the signature of the artist?

I have my own ideas on this and the ultimate fate of the universe....

Edgar