--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jody,
>
> You wrote:
> >I think I understand that is the MOTIVATION that is important. If
a person
> >has a driving desire to be a Phd in a subject that interests them,
then if
> >the person pursues the subject they are studying with curiousity
and they
> >focus on what they are doing today then that is the objective but
if they
> >are driven to crave the PhD in the future without thinking of the
path to
> >get there then that is where the problem is?
>
> I think your thoughts above are close, but obtaining a PhD is a
goal.  LEARNING MORE ABOUT [whatever] is not a goal, it is an
activity.  Now you could pursue the learning aspect by many means,
one of which would be enrolling in college and taking courses which
might eventually lead to a PhD - BUT, the PhD is only incidental to
the activity.  It is not the activity itself.

Bill

What you're writing here it would be the ideal way of studying.  It
reminds me the Renaissance in which one used to learn for the seek of
learning.  But,  How do you apply this to the reality of a person who
is poor and can't afford to fail university courses?.  How does it
made in a demanding, competitive, fast society where the most
important are the decorative degree tittles rather than the education
of the person?.

> Also, what I think Buddha and Jesus both said were more along the
lines of living in the present.  Using the example above, if you are
going to class every day and studying every night - then you should
pour yourself TOTALLY into each activity you are doing IN THE
PRESENT.  You should wake up welcoming the new day, do your morning
exercises as best you can, take your shower and dry off with all your
awareness, fix and eat your breakfast with reverence and thanks,
drive to class focusing all your attention on the drive, attend class
while focusing all your attention on the teacher's instructions,
etc...  You should NOT wake up and rush through your morning
resenting the interruption of your sleep, shower quickly and eat your
breakfast in a rush while trying to catch the first 15 mins of CNN,
drive to class while thinking about your upcoming test or the cute
girl/guy who sits next to you in class, fidget through your class
hoping it will end quickly so you and the cute guy/girl sitting next
to you could go to the beach or park.

> This is what I mean by living in the present, not dwelling on the
past or dreaming about the future.

This is a very practical wise guidance.  Very similar to the one
given by TNH. But one starts this practice as soon as ones awake and
even before opening ones eyes!, one have three in/out breathing and
smile.  Then, one leaves the bed always with awareness of the
breathing and the activity of body and mind....in the bathroom the
same.  Having breakfast the same.  This is a really good start in the
morning.  It feels one with energy and concentration during all day
through.  Just a pity that I tend to skip it these practice some
days.

Mayka