Dear Jody;

Living in the Here and the Now is one of the core teachings in all Zen
traditions.  Craving and ambition are considered causes os suffering.
But saying this is not enough and you'll need to experience that by
yourself. No teaching can be learnt unless there is an insight
understanding about it.  The only way to do this is by practicing,
working on it.

When we talk about anchoring the mind in the present moment it means
that the body and mind are together and not separated. Have you noticed
that quite often we are with our body in one place and the mind
somewhere else?.  With the help of conscious breathing we bring the
mind to the body. This is the first and key step of living the present

TNH kept repeating himself through the years;

"The Buddha taught that the past is already gone and the future has
the present is truly TO RETURN TO LIFE".

I'd like to tell you that the practice of the present moment is not an
easy one.  If I pay attention to myself I can see that I have an
indisciplened mind, wandering from one place to another, never finding
satisfation with anything....Of course a mind like this gets very tired
and irritated.  When tireness is at its high peak, I'm lucky enough
having found the key that open the gate of MIND RESTORATION.  I stop
everything I'm doing.  I sit down and breathe in awareness.  In this
way I bring my mind to present moment.  The mind gets rebelious when I
do this and keep complaining and complaining.  I listen to all its
complains, sorrows, despair...A sensation of compassion starts to
invade me.  I smile to my mind and take good care of it.  I observe
everything that is going on in the mind and in the body...After a while
my breath goes deep and slow.  Then calm...It's a really incredible
miracolous founding this practice of the Present Moment.

The practice of the present moment is a very deep practice that grows
its insight and energy with time. The present moment is me and you, and
Bill, Edgar, Mike, Chris, Anthony, Margie...The present moment is our
ship.  We are the captains of our own ship.  We let oneselves go in the
flow beyond space and time.

Good luck with your practice