With no disrespect to Thich Nhat Hanh, he is a self-proclaimed
Buddhist so presumbably practices and teaches zen from a Buddhist
perspective.  Buddhism recognizes karma so what else would you expect
from him?

The reason I post a lot about the the relationship between zen and
Buddhism is because most people believe they are one in the same, or
at least believe that zen is a sub-set of Buddhism, like Vipassana
Buddhism, Theravada Buddhism, Mahayana Buddhism and Zen Buddhism.  In
fact there are many flavors of Zen Buddhism: Japanese, Korean,
Chinese (Chan) and Vietnamese, the type of Zen Buddhism that Thich
Nhat Hanh teaches (I assume)is based on Theravada Buddhism.

I did mis-speak in one of my recent posts.  Zen is not BIGGER than
Buddhsim or other religions.  Zen is much, much SMALLER than these.
In my opinion zen is the essence of all of these.  Buddhism, for
example, is the covering, the adornment, the presentation - and this
presentation can change from person to person and place to place.

I practice zen from only the perpective of Just THIS!  There is no
karma in Just THIS!  There is no like or not like in Just THIS!
There is no adornment or anything extra in Just THIS!

Apparently Lurking No More...Bill!