I have no idea if Thich Nhat Hanh is a self proclaimed Buddhist or 
not.  Knowing him a little bit I can not see him doing any 
proclamation about anything for he's a very wise, sweet, humble 
profoundly peaceful man.  I know about him that he has turn round the 
dharma wheel and created a new way slightly different way tradition 
from the tradition he comes from.  This is natural, the dharma is 
something alive which comes first from guiding books and education 
and becames through daily direct experience practice a living dharma. 
I can say for sure about him that whatever he teaches is something 
that he has experienced first by himself. He won't ever talk about 
something that he has not experienced first.  In fact one amongst his 
multi remarkable skills is to reduce to the minimum the use of words 
that can create distraction in the mind and using words that are very 
simple but a smack to the intelectual mind, individualism and ego. A 
person who is looking for sophisticated discourses and candy words 
would find Thic Nhat Hanh tedious and boring.   Or on the other hand, 
a perosn who can also be intelectual but has reached to conclusion 
that intelectuality can be a boundary when this is not used in the 
appropiate way, then that person, if receptive enough, would find 
Thich Nhat Hanh a very enlightened person. 

My direct experience about him is that he is a living Buddha.  I can 
sense, touch and see that in all his body language, his living 
dharma, his energy, in each action he does.... When he pass on his 
dharma he doesn't pass on just words but also pass on his direct 
experience about it!.  So the words become like something very lively 
and real in him.  He never talks about something that he has not 
experiencing first by himself.

The tradition he teaches I'm not sure but I'm under the impresion 
that has its roots in Mahayana Buddhism.  

I have never hear before zen without the influence of buddhism or 
having as buddhism in its root. Interesting also the simplicity you 
seem to follow your own practice.  I like from it how direct is and 
its simplicity.  I also like from it how open is to criticism, and 
the fact that one can talk  about positve things and negative things 
happening to one in a very open way. In constrast to the profound 
wisdom from Thich Nhat Hanh I have always found difficult to relate 
myself in the non monastic sanghas due to its kind of Disneyland way 
of doing. I certainly share with you that as a practicioner I don't 
like to wave but to deal with what it comes as it comes alone. 
Though, I do lack of the mental stability over my emotions and 
solidity you seem to have.  

You say that you practice from the perspective "Just This".  But "Just
This" can not exist without "Just That".

zen or buddhism are not bigger or smaller.  They may be different 
ways in which the dharma is transmitted and nothing else.

I'm truly happy to see you active in the list.  Sorry if we can't 
help oneselves by letting you lurking.  I suppose we all miss you 
very much.  The zen forum is not the same without you, JM, Mike, 

A respectuos bow to you

--- In, "Bill Smart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mayka,
> With no disrespect to Thich Nhat Hanh, he is a self-proclaimed 
> Buddhist so presumbably practices and teaches zen from a Buddhist 
> perspective.  Buddhism recognizes karma so what else would you 
> from him?
> The reason I post a lot about the the relationship between zen and 
> Buddhism is because most people believe they are one in the same, 
> at least believe that zen is a sub-set of Buddhism, like Vipassana 
> Buddhism, Theravada Buddhism, Mahayana Buddhism and Zen Buddhism.  
> fact there are many flavors of Zen Buddhism: Japanese, Korean, 
> Chinese (Chan) and Vietnamese, the type of Zen Buddhism that Thich 
> Nhat Hanh teaches (I assume)is based on Theravada Buddhism.  
> I did mis-speak in one of my recent posts.  Zen is not BIGGER than 
> Buddhsim or other religions.  Zen is much, much SMALLER than 
> In my opinion zen is the essence of all of these.  Buddhism, for 
> example, is the covering, the adornment, the presentation - and 
> presentation can change from person to person and place to place.
> I practice zen from only the perpective of Just THIS!  There is no 
> karma in Just THIS!  There is no like or not like in Just THIS!  
> There is no adornment or anything extra in Just THIS!
> Apparently Lurking No More...Bill!
> --- In, "Mayka" <flordeloto@> wrote:
> >
> > With all my respect to you Bill but;
> > 
> > Thich Nhat Hanh is a Venerable Zen Buddhist Master who was borne 
> with 
> > the zen spoon in his mouth.  He is also one of the greates 
> > of our time.  But most important he is a person who have gained a 
> > very impresive profound understanding of zen practice.  Yet,  I 
> have 
> > never heard him the kind of comparations you often make between 
> > buddhism and zen. The fact that you need to compare this so often 
> > rings a bell of a kind of insecurity there.
> > 
> > True that we don't like to talk about karma but there is no 
> > that Karma actually exists.  
> > 
> not 
> > a matter that you believe this or not but a matter that you 
> > experience it.  If you can't experience this it only means that 
> > instead of being engage in the self you went to the other 
> > extreme and got dangerously engage with the non self.  However if 
> you 
> > would go beyond of these pair of opposites then you'll see that 
> both 
> > interbeing with each other and therefore karma exists whether you 
> > like it or not.
> > 
> > Mayka 
> >


Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

Reply via email to