Anthony,

My remarks are embedded in your post below:

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Don't lurk.

I have to lurk, and I have to return to it more faithfully.  I'm
extremely busy attending to affairs that have could have a very
profound affect on my mother's wellbeing.  That is my only priority
right now.

> How do you know your 'self' is 'annihilated' or somehow disappear,
so that karma will no longer work?

Loosing your attachment to the concept of self for the first time is
called 'kensho' in Japanese.  Incorporating that entirely into your
life is called 'satori' in Japanese.  The dropping of self and all of
its clutter is what Joshu tried to communicate when he answered his
student's question about Buddha Nature with "Mu", dropping of self is
experiencing a dried shit stick, dropping of self leaves Just THIS!
Buddha Nature is Just THIS!

> Does that mean nihilism? Or nirvana?

Experiencing Buddha Nature is quite different from nilhism.  Nilhism,
as I understand it, denies all existence; Buddha Nature confrims and
embraces all existence.  Nilhism holds that nothing can be known or
communicated; Just THIS! is everything and although Just THIS! cannot
itself be directly communicted, it can be experienced.  There are
some similarities in nihilism's rejection of religious values, but
Buddha Nature doesn't actually reject them, they are just rendered
moot.

Nirvana is a religious concept in Buddhism (and probably other
religions).  It's maya.  It's a carrot at the end of a sutra-stick.
It's embellishment.  Just THIS! is not nirvana.  Just THIS! is Just
THIS!  Nothing more, nothing less.

Back to lurking mode...Bill!