More of the quote is below. "Be a lamp unto yourself."
 "but holding fast to the Truth as their lamp, and holding fast to the Truth as
their refuge, shall not look for refuge to anyone beside themselves, it is they
who shall reach the highest goal."
The lamp is Truth, not whatever truths people believe. "Just as no one will
punish you for anger, but anger will punish you," so to Buddha's truth is the
Truth, but not like the taliban.

I cannot find the context of this line on google , but Buddha was always
changing the rules according to the individual capacities of others.