Go to Mexico, and be welcome by the drug kings on the highlighted words.
In their minds, selling and taking drugs are 'spontaneous'.

--- On Sat, 24/7/10, Bill! <> wrote:

From: Bill! <>
Subject: [Zen] Re: Compassion
Date: Saturday, 24 July, 2010, 5:18 PM

Ed, Thats a good question.

Merriam-Webster Online defines 'compassion' as:

"A sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to
alleviate it."

I don't know how to resolve this from a zen perspective since the concepts of
'others', 'distress', 'desire' and even to some exten 'alleviate' are illusory.

I think 'compassion' is just one of those Buddhist teaching devices, like
karma, to help you decide what to do before you are ready to decide that for

I wouldn't worry too much about compassion. Just keep sitting, and eat when
you're hungry, sleep when you're tired, wake when you're rested and deal with
whatever comes up in a spontaneous manner without any goals or valutions in